Bageshwar is a city and a municipal board in Bageshwar district in the state of Uttarakhand, India. It is located at a distance of 470 km from the National Capital New Delhi and 332 km from the State Capital Dehradun. Bageshwar is known for its scenic beauty, Glaciers, Rivers and Temples. It is also the administrative headquarters of Bageshwar district.
Situated on the confluence of Sarju and Gomati rivers, Bageshwar is surrounded by the mountains of Bhileshwar and Nileshwar to its east and west and by the Suraj Kund in the north and Agni Kund in the south. The city is of great religious, historic and political significance. Bageshwar finds mention in various puranas, where, it has been associated with Lord Shiva. The Uttrayani fair held annually in Bageshwar used to be visited by approx 15,000 people in the early twentieth century, and was the largest fair of Kumaon division. The fair became the epicenter of the Coolie Begar Movement in January 1921. The city of Bageshwar gets its name from the Bagnath Temple. Hindi and Sanskrit are the official Languages however Kumaoni is spoken by a large number of people.
source - Wikipedia
BEST TIME TO VISIT-
The best season to visit Bageshwar is the winters and the onset of summers. The favorable months to visit the place are from October to March. The climate remains pleasant during these months offering tourists the best holiday experience.
Uttrayani fair held in the mid of January from Makar Sankranti to next 10 days and considered as largest fair of Kumaon division.
Mahashivratri is also a huge festival in Bageshwar
1. On the confluence of Saryu and Gomti river Bagnath Temple is situated. The city and Bagnath Temple find mention in the Manaskhand of Shiva Purana, where it is written that the temple and its surrounding city was built by Chandeesh, a servant of the Hindu deity Shiva.
2. Surrounding by two peaks from where the whole city can be seen at a glance, they are Chandika and Nileshwar.
3. Bageshwar is centre point from where you can pick upon enroute Munsiyari, another beautiful place or Pindari glacier.
4. There are many beautiful and holy temples in Danpur region namely Shikhar Temple near Shama village which is about 50 KM from Bageshwar, Bhagwati Temple Badiyakot which is 70 KM from Bageshwar.
5. Surmool , also known as Saudhara(100 waterfalls) is the considered origin of Saryu river is a decent place which is about 60 KM from Bageshwar with 6 KM trek from Song village.