Rishikesh is a city in Dehradun district of Uttarakhand Located in the foothills of the Himalayas in northern India also known as the 'Gateway to the Garhwal Himalayas and 'Yoga Capital of the World'. It is 25 km north of the city Haridwar and 43 km Dehradun.
Rishikesh has numerous yoga centres that attract tourists. It is believed that meditation in Rishikesh brings one closer to attainment of moksha, as does a dip in the holy river that flows through it.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The climate here is the continental type but its location in the foothills gives it a pleasant weather throughout the year. One can visit Rishikesh any time of the year, however, the best time to visit Rishikesh for River Rafting is from late September - October to mid-November, and then the best time to visit Rishikesh is from early March - April to the first week of May.
In July there is a festival in Rishikesh called Savan where thousands of people flock to Rishikesh. Major roads are blocked and hotels are crowded. It is better to avoid travelling to Rishikesh during that time.
HOW TO REACH-
Nearest Railway Station is Rishikesh Railway Station which has limited Trains so it is advisable to take Train to Haridwar. Haridwar is well connected with big cities and Haridawar is just 20 km from Rishikesh with easy assessability of transport.
Bus and taxis are easily Available from Delhi and other big cities of the state. Delhi is 230 km from Rishikesh which take 6-7 hr by Buses.
Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest airport, which is located 15 km away from the city centre. Air India, Jet Airways, Jet Konnect and Spice Jet have regular flights to Dehradun.
1. Rishikesh is the starting point for travelling to the four Chota Char Dham pilgrimage places — Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri, and Yamunotri.
2. Laxman Jhula built in 1939, Laxman Jhula is a 450-ft long iron bridge suspended over the Ganges River near Swarga Ashram.
3. Neelkantha Mahadev Temple around 22 km away from Ram Jhula is one of the most important shrines dedicated to Lord Shiva.
4. Rafting at Rishikesh is popular all over the country and the turbulent waves of river Ganges make it a popular adventure activity at Rishikesh.
5. Some other adventures sports tourists can try at Rishikesh are bungee jumping, camping, cliff Jumping, kayaking, mountain biking, rock climbing, rappelling, and zip lining.
6. Trayambakeshwar Temple is 13 stories high Hindu temple with different deities throughout perched along the banks of the Ganges River at Lakshman Jhula Bridge is open to the public.